To blanch almonds:
1. Bring water to boil. Prepare ice bath. Add raw almonds, boil for 60 seconds, drain and quickly place in ice bath. Pinch to remove skin.
2. Grind in grinder until finely ground.
Make the crust:
1. In a food processor pulse together flour and salt. Add butter and pulse until the mixture forms chickpea sized pieces. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough just comes together. It should be moist but not wet. On a lightly floured surface, gather dough into a ball. Flatten, fold over itself by thirds several times, then form into a disk. Pinch the ends of the disk together and roll on edge to flatten. This will help it roll out rounder later. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or up to 2 days, or vacuum pack and freeze.
For the cream:
1. Separate eggs. Reserve 1 egg yolk. Whisk egg white and confectioners sugar in a bowl until frothy. Add almonds, melted butter and almond extract. Whisk together well. Refrigerate.
For the Filling:
1. Peal and core pears, cut up into slices 1/4 inch thick; toss in bowl with lemon juice and lemon zest.
For the Gaette:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly dust parchment paper (or silicone pie matt) with flour. Place cold dough on top and lightly dust with flour. Top with a sheet of parchment paper and roll out dough into a 16 inch circle. Peel off parchment paper flip over the parchment paper place on top, then place baking sheet over and invert onto parchment covered sheet. Spread cream over center, leaving 2 inch rim.
2. Arrange pear slices in concentric circles slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Fold edges of dough over edges of pears crimping every 2 inches.
3. Evenly scatter butter bits of butter over top of filling.
4. Beat egg yolk with a little bit of water. Coat rim of crust with mixture and sprinkle rim with large sugar crystals.
5. If crust has warmed up, refrigerate. Otherwise proceed to baking.
6. Bake 20 - 25 minutes. Remove and raise oven rack to six inches from top. Turn on broiler and place under broiler for 1 - 2 minutes watching carefully until crust browned and pears brown.
7. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then slide parchment and galette onto cooling rack.
8. Dust with confectioners sugar.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (108g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 178 (72%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 19.8g||26 %|
|Saturated Fat 11.1g||55 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.3g|
|Cholesterol 62.6mg||19 %|
|Sodium 180.9mg||6 %|
|Potassium 124.8mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 17.4g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 15g|
|Protein 2.3g||3 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 247
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!