Delicious for boneless lamb roasts; a nice change of spice profile compared to the usual garlic-rosemary on lamb.
1. Preheat oven to 450 F
2. Mash butter, garlic, and ginger together in a small bowl, then add in the paprika, cumin, and coriander.
3. Trim the fat on the lamb to a thin layer. Make about 20 small incisions all over it. Pat it very dry.
4. Spread the butter spice mixture liberally all over the lamb.
5. Put lamb in an oiled roasting pan and sprinkle with the kosher salt. Add wine.
6. Put lamb in preheated oven, then immediately turn down the temperature to 325 F. Roast 1/2 hour per pound or slightly less to internal temp of 150 F. (as low as 135 for medium-rare, or higher if you like well done)
7. Remove lamb from oven and let sit 10-15 minutes. Slice the lamb thin and serve with fresh ground black pepper and the mint sauce on the side to drizzle over it.
(this is very much like English vinegar-based mint sauce. Note that it is not a gravy!)
1. While the lamb is roasting, prepare the sauce.
2. Stir the mint leaves into the two vinegars, muddle it, and stir in the sugar.
Optional I added about a half cup of the red wine left from cooking the lamb to this, and it tied the flavors together nicely.
I have served this with rutabagas simmered in some of the lamb drippings; spinach with cumin, lemon juice, and yoghurt; and whole wheat couscous with prunes and pine nuts. Fabulous meal!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (297g)|
|Recipe Makes: 9|
|Calories from Fat: 317 (55%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 35.2g||47 %|
|Saturated Fat 17.8g||89 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 13.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.6g|
|Cholesterol 111.9mg||34 %|
|Sodium 133.1mg||5 %|
|Potassium 593.7mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 25.9g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 24.7g|
|Protein 26.5g||38 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 576
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.