1. In a large Dutch oven set over medium high heat, add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
2. Once hot, in about 2 minutes, add the seeded chiles in 2 or 3 batches and saute, stirring often and being careful not to let them completely burn. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a mixing bowl.
3. In the same oil, add chopped onion and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring, until they soften and release their aroma.
4. Stir in the almonds, peanuts, raisins and pumpkin seeds, and let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir in the sesame seeds, reserved chile seeds, cloves, anise seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick (or ground), ground allspice, thyme and marjoram. Stir frequently and let it all cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Add the tortilla and bread pieces along with the tomatoes and tomatillos. Let it all cook for a couple minutes.
7. Incorporate the already sautéed chiles and pour in the chicken broth. Stir and once it comes to a simmer, add the chocolate pieces and the salt. Mix well and let it simmer for 12 to 15 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat, cover and let the mix rest for 1/2 hour, so the chiles can completely soften.
9. In batches, puree the mixture in the blender or food processor until smooth.
NOTE: You can store this mole, covered, in the refrigerator for up to a month or freeze it for up to a year.
10: When ready to eat, dilute a cup of mole w/ 1/2 cup of chicken broth in a saucepan and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve over cooked chicken or turkey and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (298g)|
|Recipe Makes: 25 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 417 (64%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 46.3g||62 %|
|Saturated Fat 11.6g||58 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 19.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 11.2g|
|Cholesterol 184mg||57 %|
|Sodium 179.5mg||6 %|
|Potassium 678.5mg||18 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 8.1g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||11 %|
|Sugars, other 5.3g|
|Protein 48.6g||69 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 647
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!