Torrijas are commonly enjoyed during the nice late afternoon snack, called merienda. It is also commonly enjoyed for breakfast.
Torrijas are similar to French toast, with the difference that Torrijas milk mixture is cooked and then the bread is entirely saturated with the mixture. This means the result is soft and very moist inside. It has much more flavour and is sweeter than French toast.
Try this easy dessert recipe! if you feel a bit adventurous, I also provide a citrus flavour option.
- Place Milk, sugar, rum, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt In a medium sauce pan
- Bring to a slow boil stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low
- Continue cooking the mixture for about 10 minutes to allow the infusion of flavours
- Take the pan off the heat, and let the mixture cool slightly
- Then pour the mixture over the bread slices in a bowl.
- Let the bread soak up the mixture until saturated.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Once the oil is hot, dip both sides of each saturated slice in the beaten eggs and then put in the hot oil.
- Fry until both sides are golden brown
- Remove onto a paper towel to soak the oil.
- Dust with some icing sugar (powdered sugar) and enjoy.
Can be served hot or cold.
- add the lemon and orange zest and juice to the milk at the beginning for a citrus flavour.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (244g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 140 (32%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 15.6g||21 %|
|Saturated Fat 4.5g||22 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.9g|
|Cholesterol 105.1mg||32 %|
|Sodium 535.6mg||18 %|
|Potassium 324.4mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 48.2g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 46g|
|Protein 14.9g||21 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 434
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.